Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Enjoy growing older...


Who ever knew it would be so great to turn 72. I had a wonderful day, due in large part, to all who sent best wishes for me to review.

 

·      Growing old

·      Is better than 

·      What I expected.

·      It’s certainly better

·      Than the alternative.

 

It used to be that I would get lots of birthday cards in the mail, many from the same people who sent them year after year. But today those wishes come mostly online and it’s fun to react to the notification sound on my smartphone each time one arrives. At one point in the day, it seemed as if  that was all I was able to do. We had dinner with one of my best friends from when I was growing up and the conversation was what you’d expect from a long and rich history like that. It’s interesting how the things that matter change as you age, and so passing these days with old friends and wonderful memories is a treasure. As time goes on, you get to the stage where going for it is more important than winning or losing. So, let me just say, that right now 72 seems like the old 62, or whatever age that represents a time when life felt easier on these old bones. It was a wonderful fall day in all its glorious Fall colors to be alive. And, just like that, one year passes on to another. The moral of this story: enjoy today.

 

Arthur Robert Ashe Jr. (1943 – 1993): American professional tennis player who won three Grand Slam singles titles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...