Thursday, October 20, 2022

People hate poor service...


I spent most of my career as Chief HR Officer for a 5-Star organization. So I know how challenging it is to get employees to buy into providing great service.

 

·      Lots of employees

·      Can all do great work if

·      They’re hired and trained effectively.

·      Size and service excellence can be compatible. 

·      But you need to work hard to make that a reality.

 

Yesterday I shopped at two big box retailers. I went to my neighborhood grocer (part of a multi-national food conglomerate) and asked if they had any apple cider (a favorite at this time every year); the employee stocking the shelves had to look it up and directed me to apple cider vinegar. Not the same, I told him, and he just shrugged. And then I went to a local big-box pet store and attempted to buy my 3-legged dog a harness; the employee there directed me to ones that were for 4-legged dogs. Not the same, I told her, and she just shrugged. Two different stores, same poor service. Both companies profess on their web sites that they must keep growing to compete with Wal Mart and online retailers; they’re not going to win that war doing things the way they currently are. They need to train their employees: that’s what the best companies – big and small, do. I realize it’s hard to find employees today, but the ones you do hire need to be trained and effectively supervised to provide excellent service. That’s how you beat your competition. Shame on companies and leaders who think they can win by eliminating competition or continuing to blame their problems on Covid. There’s no substitute for sticking to the basics. That’s just the truth. Make time to train your employees today.

 

Loretta Lynn (1932 – 2022): American singer-songwriter and guitarist who sang, toured, and recorded for 57 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...