Monday, October 3, 2022

Enjoy the dawn of each new day...


“It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.” e.e. cummings

 

I usually write these the night before I send them. But today is my birthday and I wanted to see how I felt this morning before writing.

 

·      Another year.

·      Part good, some bad.

·      But every day I’m above ground

·      Is a very good day to be alive and writing.

·      I appreciate every day that I am able to do that.

 

My birthday is often on a beautiful Fall Day, and, sometimes, like this year, it’s also around the time of the Jewish holidays. Which are filled with prayer and reflection. As I start my 72ndyear, I am keenly aware of who I am and where I’ve been. And today I am reflecting on the courage it took to grow up and turn out to be who I really am. I remember turning 21 and thinking now it’s time to grow up – that was an unsettling year between growing up and being a grown up. Like Peter Pan, I didn’t want to grow up. Didn’t want the responsibility and accountability of being a grown up. But over the years, I’ve come to accept those aspects of being an adult. In my professional life I have constantly talked about the importance of business leaders taking on more responsibilities and having both the authority and accountability that comes with what’s required to be effective. Same with our personal lives – others rely on us and that too brings its own set of responsibilities and accountability. Growing up is a long process, lasting our entire lives. Grow up and accept your responsibilities today.

 

Edward Estlin Cummings (1894 – 1962): often written in all lowercase as e e cummings, was an American poet, painter, essayist, author, and playwright.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...