Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Live life to the fullest...


“Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today.”  James Dean

 

Here’s a follow-up to yesterday’s Bucket List story. We pushed back from the marina at 5:45am for a day of fishing for salmon on Lake Ontario. The charter boat was impressive – Garmin electronics and fancy outriggers designed to help find a great catch.  The captain and crew were attentive – poised to help land the prize. I paid attention, asked pertinent questions, and watched other’s techniques. I was ready. When one of the fishing poles bent over, I was ready to see if I could, at this late stage in life, land a big one. Fifteen minutes later a 22 lb. Coho salmon lay on the deck: after long last, I’d experienced what it felt like to catch a big fish. After the obligatory pictures and high fives, life snapped right back to real time. And that’s the way it is: expectations and drama give way as the here and now again take precedence. We fished on, others landed more fish, and a good day was had by all. The big moments of our lives are special mainly to us; others may watch the experience, but achievements like these are mostly a personal matter. As you work hard, learn, and build our knowledge, skills, and abilities, the highs and lows come and go … and life goes on. Grab every opportunity to live your life today.

 

James Dean (1931 – 1955): American actor remembered as a cultural icon of teenage disillusionment and social estrangement

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...