Monday, August 16, 2021

Don’t get stuck not knowing what you don’t know…


Years’ ago, I was motivated to find a solution to a problem that no one else seemed to know or care about: we had just finished going through 55,000 applications for the Mirage and I was buried in paper and struggling to keep track of it all. Back then, I figured that companies like Xerox and Microsoft might have some innovative ideas about things like that, so I inquired if they could help with this. They politely declined – not because they didn’t want to help … but rather because they had no idea how to help. They legitimately didn’t know what they didn’t know, and unless someone there, or anywhere was curious about something, that wouldn’t change. That’s when it dawned on me that if you expect someone else to guide you, you’ll be lost. They’d never been faced with the challenges I was experiencing, and it wasn’t that they couldn’t figure it out … this just wasn’t on their list of priorities. So, I set out on my journey to find a better solution to collecting, storing, sorting, and analyzing applicant data because I was motivated to find solutions to my own problems. And the rest, as they say, is history. Today, the internet has changed all of that – there’s no excuse for ignorance unless you don’t need or want to know something. The moral of this story: do your own research and guide yourself to the innovative solutions you need today.

 

James Earl Jones (born 1931): American actor whose diverse career spans more than seven decades

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...