Friday, August 20, 2021

Do what it takes...


I’ve read that it takes anywhere from 6-10 years to get great at something, depending on how often and how much you do it. Some estimate that it takes 10,000 hours to master something, but I think it varies from person to person and depends on skill levels and other factors. Whatever the amount of time is, there are no shortcuts to achieving that or any other goal you might have. And rather than time, the measure of completion or competence often is the ability to perform within appropriate parameters. And if the goal is to be competent and confident rather than great, the time or effort that takes is different again. I’ve been playing guitar for nearly 60 years – sometimes I play every day, other times not so much: I’m pretty good but nowhere near great, and that’s okay. And I’ve known lots of managers who’ve had years in their jobs – some have been great, and others not so much, so I guess there’s more to it than time on the job. This mostly comes down to temperament, skills, knowledge, and drive. Each of us must decide what we want to be when we get to where we’re going. And then do what it takes. Remember: don't take any shortcuts on the road to getting where you need to be today.

 

Beverly Sills (1929-2007): American opera soprano

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...