Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Measure twice, cut once...


Passions must be put into perspective lest we misunderstand them or follow the wrong ones.

 

·      We can get enamored with our own ideas.

·      That’s why they should get scrutinized.

·      So that you only follow the good ones.

 

When I have a big idea, I believe in it, sometimes too much; the antidote for that is to involve others to get their perspectives. Not just people who’ll always say yes, but those with varied experiences and backgrounds. Not that I won’t argue and lobby long and hard, but I want to be surrounded by those who’ll stand their ground when appropriate. The best ideas will survive, but if they don’t, it should be from their weakness no matter what we think. My career was dotted with good ideas that survived that kind of rigor, as well as many others that didn’t. Don’t be afraid to get passionate about your ideas but keep an open mind – you’ll want to be sure that only the right ones make it. It’s with this kind of thinking that you should roll into the New Year, full of ideas, eyes wide open, and ears to the ground. That’s a good way to begin to formulate your New Year’s resolutions today.

 

François de La Rochefoucauld (1613 – 1680): French author (Maximes and Memoirs) and moralist of the era of French Classical literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...