Sunday, December 17, 2023

Get into the spirit...


It’s the middle of December and I’ve been thinking about the year that’s coming to an end. About why I continue to write these messages every day.

 

·      What started as a simple request, has become a daily devotional.

·      Thinking about what’s been done and how to be better.

·      Using a simple thought to begin each day around.

 

Fourteen years ago, after opening the Resort at Pelican Hill, I was asked to continue my participation with them by writing a daily message for their pre-shift meetings. That’s how these started. Back then, the concept was inspired in part by an elderly neighbor in Laguna Beach who started each of her days by driving down the canyon to her church in town and meditating about what was important to her. I’d watched her do that every day for 3 years and saw how that was a central part of her life. Starting one’s day with some sort of devotional – whether prayer, meditation, a solitary exercise, or a quote, seemed like a smart way to approach each day. And after 14 years, I enjoy and benefit from this as much as any of those other start of the day strategies. Because I’m actively participating in getting my thoughts together, not just standing around hoping that my first step will be the best one each day. Well intended. Sometimes not entirely successful. But always hopeful. As we start each day, it pays to participate fully rather than watch from the sidelines. Do what it takes to get into that mindset today.

 

Kathrine Switzer (born 1947): American marathon runner, author, and television commentator. She was the first woman to run in the Boston Marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...