Sunday, December 10, 2023

Give a Damn...


The more I write these daily messages, the more I’m convinced of the importance of punctuality, dependability, and responsibility. In life and at work.

 

·      Punctual means you’ll show up on time, every time

·      Dependable means you’ll do what you say.

·      Responsible means you care.

 

None of the managers and leaders I talk to complain about people being able to learn to do their jobs. The problem is that people often don’t come to work when scheduled or take responsibility for their actions when they’re there.  Or they rarely say, “yes sir” and “yes mam”, or “please” and “thank you”. Work shouldn’t be the place to teach responsibility and manners, but it should be the place where those are non-negotiable. Reference them in your job descriptions and postings, talk about them in your interviews, model then in onboarding, and reinforce them in your training. And let employees know that being responsible for their actions and taking ownership of how goods are produces and services are performed will be how they’re evaluated. Talk to your employees about these things, coach them when needed, and catch them doing these things right. Take responsibility for your employees taking responsibility today.

 

Steve Maraboli (born 1975): American speaker. author. athlete. and veteran.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...