Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Don't get ahead of yourself...


We often want to do everything at once. But that’s never possible.

 

·      Life is full of things to do.

·      Focus on the one that’s most important.

·      Then do the best you can with what you have.

 

It’s time for another update on my fingers. I started physical therapy last week and am discovering all the things I’ve taken for granted in the past and must re-learn now. Like recovering the flexibility in my fingers, regaining the feeling and sensitivity in my fingers and fingertips, and trying anew what I used to be able to do. It’s going to be a long and tedious process and I want to do everything at once and to know now what I’m going to be able to do when it’s all healed… but I can’t. So, the thing I can do is to keep positive. Be patient. And keep at it. I may have mentioned this before: my Dad also cut off three of the fingers on his left hand on a table saw. I was 9 and it freaked me out. But what I remember is that he never complained; just learned what he could then do and adjusted his life accordingly. His approach was  that you just need to start putting one foot in front of the other every day. I feel like I haven’t been as stoic as he was then. But that doesn’t mean I can’t learn another lesson from him. Don’t get ahead of yourself: just put one foot in front of the other today.

 

Calvin Coolidge (1872 – 1933): American attorney and politician who served as the 30th president of the United States from 1923 to 1929.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let involvement spur you on...

F or the people who grew up in the 60s, listening to John F. Kennedy say we were going to put a man on the moon in that decade sounded beyon...