Thursday, October 12, 2023

Be open to continuous learning...


                      In business, as in life, dependability is very important.

                                      Doing what you say.

                                      Doing what you can.

 

Everyone relies on dependability. Dependability at work just might be the most important attribute in that environment. People you can count on and people who count on you. This is a theme I often write about here; today, however, I want to write about dependability of another sort. We depend on the things that we’re able to do with the skills and tools available. Simple things like eating and writing. I'm left-handed and all my life I've mostly done things only with that hand, probably more out of habit than not. Because I lately haven't had the use of that hand, I was grumpily certain that I couldn’t do anything with my right hand. I had trouble getting the food from a plate to my mouth… but yesterday I noticed that it was getting easier with my right hand, reminding me that an old dog can learn new tricks. And I was home alone and needed to write something down; while my brain was saying that's not possible, my right hand scribbled a message that was almost legible. So, if the greatest ability is dependability, I suggest dependability can be learned. As a leader, coach and reinforce this attribute in those who work for you, being sure to catch them doing it right. And don't be so stuck that you think you can't learn to be more dependable in the things you do and the way you do them. Learn to be dependable today.

 

Bob Jones Sr. (1883 – 1968): American evangelist, pioneer religious broadcaster, and the founder and first president of Bob Jones University.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let involvement spur you on...

F or the people who grew up in the 60s, listening to John F. Kennedy say we were going to put a man on the moon in that decade sounded beyon...