Monday, October 2, 2023

It could be worse: so look on the bright side...


Please bear me as i write more about the accident I had last week and how it’s impacting my life.

 

·      It could have been so much worse.

·      And I am thankful it wasn’t.

 

Here are some of the first challenges I’ve faced. First, the sudden need to use only my non-dominant hand has been an eye-opener. I am left-handed and always assumed I couldn't do much with my right hand. But I guess, just because I wouldn't doesn't mean I couldn't and that's what I've learned in the few days since this happened. We all are very resilient if we believe we can, and after two days my little-used right hand is starting to do just fine. I wouldn't have known if that was possible if this hadn’t happened. And second, everything in life (and in our bodies) is connected.  The first two fingers on my left hand are all wrapped up in bandages since the surgery. But since the thumb and last two fingers look like they're available I thought I'd try to clamp on things with them to see if I could get some utility out of this hand. But as soon as I put any pressure on them the pain in the two affected fingers immediately increases, telling me not to do that. I ought to know better but this is a great reminder that everything is connected, and we should be mindful of everything as it touches everything else. So, this is the beginning of what will be several tales about learning to live life without one of your hands. It's not the worst thing in the world and it certainly, as they've all told me, have been much worse. These are minor challenges but in the scheme of things, life is still good. Pointing out, that when faced with a challenge, look for a way, and not a way out, today.

 

D.L. Weatherford (born the 1980s): Author, speaker, and activator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let involvement spur you on...

F or the people who grew up in the 60s, listening to John F. Kennedy say we were going to put a man on the moon in that decade sounded beyon...