Monday, September 19, 2022

Look where you're going...


Recruiters often put too much emphasis on experience: that tells what the candidate’s done. Sometimes it’s better to recruit for attitude: that tells what they’re capable of.

 

·      Experience is good.

·      Attitude may be better.

·      One is all about yesterday.

·      The other is about every day.

·      Look for candidates with both.

 

When I was first being interviewed by the Golden Nugget, I’d never worked in the hospitality business. My degree was in personnel administration and my experience was in manufacturing. But my attitude was that employees in every industry all look for the same things and I’d make sure that their gaming employees got those things. I understood their concerns. And they liked my can-do attitude. Business leaders spend a lot of time looking for and trying to hire great employees: it isn’t where they’re coming from as much as it’s where they’re going that counts. Look for a candidate’s optimism, flexibility, openness: don’t only ask them what they’ve done, but look closely at what they’d do. That’s the perfect time to explain your mission, vision, and values and see how they react to those. Have them tell you what those mean to them, and why: understanding their values will help you understand if they’ll fit into your culture. Help your employee get to where they’re going today.

 

Ella Jane Fitzgerald (1917 – 1996): American jazz singer, sometimes referred to as the "First Lady of Song", "Queen of Jazz", and "Lady Ella". 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...