Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Double check your work...


We often feel good about what we do or say. Sometimes that’s a false sense of accomplishment.  

  • ·      Our actions
  • ·      May be sincere,
  • ·      But their measure 
  • ·      Is how others perceive them.
  • ·      Be careful what you say and do. 

The measure of what we do or say is whether others perceive it as intended. Effective communications are those that get the right response and yet many of us are guilty of ignoring how they are received or perceived. We want to believe others get what we mean, but my experience is often that’s not the case. And even if we feel good about what we said or did, it's best to check.  Asking questions like “is that clear”, or “how do you intend to proceed” can quickly uncover whether others understand. I like to add a recap to my actions or communications and the response I get lets me know whether others got it as I intended. Don’t be so full of yourself to think you’re always clear – that’s a high bar to achieve. Engage in more discussion about these things to make certain that what you say or do is understood as intended. If it is – continue; but if not, make the effort to be clearer. Effective communication is harder than it looks.  Take the time to say what you mean and mean what you say today.

Kenneth Peacock Tynan (1927 – 1980): English theatre critic and writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...