Monday, July 18, 2022

Make people feel welcome...


Overnight camp. I went to one when I was a kid and loved it. Full of friends, fun, and new experiences. Did I say I loved it?

 

·      Away from home.

·      Often for the first time.

·      Sleeping in bunks with others.

·      And learning all about new things

·      That produced a lifetime of great memories.

 

Yesterday we dropped my granddaughter at an overnight camp. A first for her. And for her mother. We all worried, for different reasons. Mostly about the unknown. Life is like that. Starting at a new school or job: it’s all new and so we’re afraid. Counselors at overnight camps are taught all about this, and they let the new campers (and their parents) know they’re sensitive to insecurities and have lots of programs to make the campers quickly feel welcome, comfortable, and safe. It’s the same with new employees and leaders must be as sensitive as camp counselors. Here’s a fun fact: when we opened the Mirage, several of us had kids that went away to summer camp for the first time that year, and all of us picked up on the clever ways the counselors made the kids feel comfortable and welcome. And we copied many of their techniques when we planned our first mass orientations and on-boarding sessions. The key to both was making sure those first few moments and days quicky allayed someone’s fear of the unknown. Let your new employees know there’s no reason to be afraid today.

 

Phoebe Mary Waller-Bridge (born 14 July 1985) is an English actress, screenwriter, and star of the BBC sitcom, Fleabag, and the one-woman show of the same name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...