Wednesday, July 20, 2022

It's okay to be yourself...


Most of the time, people wear their business face. Professional, dignified, almost stoic. Trying to look the part. 

 

·      Business like

·      Is a norm people follow.

·      Trying to conform and impress.

·      But the times really are changing

·      And being authentic is the new standard.

 

I wear my emotions on my sleeve – there’s usually no guessing when it comes to what I’m thinking or feeling. Not sure if that’s best, but it’s my way of being transparent, clear, and authentic. Here’s what I think: it’s okay to be upset if it’s connected to helpful and positive suggestions and coaching; it’s okay to be sad if it’s genuine and empathetic; it’s okay to be happy if it’s unpretentious and shared with others; and it’s okay to smile and give praise if it’s sincere. The foundation of every one of these emotions should be good communications and general optimism – talking openly about what you’re feeling and knowing that the glass is half full and whatever you’re going through will pass. If your employees see you being human, they’ll know it’s okay to be themselves too. Be aware of your emotions, don’t let them get out of hand, and be sensitive to how they affect others. Set a humanistic and emotionally intelligent tone at work today.

 

Gertrude Margaret Lowthian Bell (1868 – 1926): English writer, political advisor, archaeologist, explorer, cartographer in Syria-Palestine, Mesopotamia, Asia Minor, and Arabia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...