Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Keep your eyes and ears open...


The Adirondack Mountains (where I spend my summers) are in the oldest and largest state park in the US. The park has more than 200,000 acres of  old growth forests.

 

·      Old growth forests

·      Have attained great age.

·      The diversity of their trees promotes

·      The diversity of their ecology and wildlife.

·      And stimulates their overall health and sustainability.

 

I’ve been walking through these forests for my entire life and have learned that evergreen trees and deciduous trees need each other to maintain the health and balance of these woods. They each have different impacts on the fertility of these habitats, and both are needed for forests to be healthy and sustainable. That’s Mother Nature’s way of teaching us about diversity. So, it seemed natural to me to focus on diversity in my profession. One of my primary responsibilities in Atlantic City was making sure that our workforce there was appropriately diverse per the state’s gaming regulations. When opening large integrated resorts in Las Vegas, the gaming regulators there encouraged, rather than required, the same. And the federal government constantly audited large projects like ours to make sure we employed a diverse workforce. It’s the law, but it’s also smart business to employ people with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives – they strengthen a company’s professionalism and sustainability. It’s interesting how business mirrors nature in teaching us how best to organize our thinking and efforts. Use your past experiences to instruct and inform your actions today.

 

John Quincy Adams (1767 – 1848): American statesman, diplomat, lawyer, and diarist who served as the sixth president of the United States, from 1825 to 1829.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...