Friday, October 25, 2019

Don't rush...


When I was a kid, my favorite basketball team was the Boston Celtics: I remember listening to the radio announcers reporting excitedly about their ‘run and gun’ offense. I admired that concept and envisioned players thinking and running and shooting: it works in well-trained team environments… not so much in business. I’m not saying that experienced managers can’t make quick decisions, but calm deliberation and planning often works better. I’ve learned the hard way that just because I quickly see the answer to something doesn’t always mean that others get it that quickly too: that’s why it’s usually best to slow down, explain things clearly, listen to concerns, and answer questions. People who worked for me will say I move quickly, but I’ve come to appreciate the value of contemplation and communication: they’re not the same as inactivity or stalling; rather, they’re just good practice when you need a team of people to move forward effectively. Take the right amount of time to get everyone moving in the same direction today.

Antoni Tàpies (1923 – 2012): Spanish painter, sculptor and art theorist, who became one of the most famous European artists of his generation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let involvement spur you on...

F or the people who grew up in the 60s, listening to John F. Kennedy say we were going to put a man on the moon in that decade sounded beyon...