Friday, October 18, 2019

Don't get flustered...


We’re all responsible for knowing what we can, and cannot do: that comes from experience and common sense. Experience teaches us where, when and how to help; common sense tells if we should.  Here’s an example: when I checked into the hotel during one of my stops this week, the reservation was booked incorrectly; when I pointed this out to the desk agent, I could tell she was confused and nervous as she just kept looking at her computer screen and repeating what I knew was incorrect.  So, I asked to speak to a supervisor, who very calmly and professionally handled the problem and got me checked in properly: it was an excellent example of good service recovery. She gave me a sincere, personal, and non-mechanical apology; reviewed the issue with me and then made a quick decision; went over that decision with me to make sure I was satisfied, and said she would follow up to make sure it was corrected and documented. These kinds of things happen all the time and good employees take ownership of whatever needs to be done. Don’t get flustered or angry when determining what you can or cannot do today.

Thomas Fuller (1608 – 1661): English churchman, writer and historian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let involvement spur you on...

F or the people who grew up in the 60s, listening to John F. Kennedy say we were going to put a man on the moon in that decade sounded beyon...