Thursday, May 14, 2020

Fill in the blanks...


Did you ever think that ___ – fill in the blank; if you filled it in with something that has to do with what’s been going on these past few months, the answer would be “NO”, because there’s no way any of us could have imagined this pandemic and what we’re going through. It would’ve seemed impossible, until it wasn’t. And every one of us needs someone to talk to about this. I’m lucky: my consulting partner is also a clinical psychologist. Every day we talk, mostly about business; but the conversation almost always gets back to “how are you doing”. He lets me talk, and listens; he says: “tell me more”, and I talk more.  Afterwards, I feel a little better. Everybody needs that, and managers today are ‘it’ when it comes to providing that kind of support to the people they’re leading. No manager I know signed up for anything like this, and yet every manager today has to cope with this situation and these questions and help guide themselves and their people through this maze. Your role as a manager has mostly involved telling people “what” and “how”; it’s morphed into a role of being a mentor and coach, where you now ask questions and help them discover their own answers and possibilities. Be a coach and help others discover their way through this seemingly impossible situation today

Nelson Mandela (1918 – 2013): South African anti-apartheid revolutionary, political leader, and philanthropist who served as President of South Africa from 1994 to 1999

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...