Friday, May 1, 2020

Be patient and prudent...


There’s much debate these days about when and how to begin rolling back the restrictions we’ve all been living with for the past several weeks. I think most people want to survive this pandemic and are willing to do nearly anything reasonable to do so. If reasonable means staying healthy by self-isolating for longer than we thought, then that, however unpleasant, is probably ok.  But if reasonable means suffering economic ruin – losing a job and/or a home – that’s not ok. And it’s these two seemingly opposing options that is starting to make people act out. If you’re beginning to go stir crazy – I get it; if you need to go out to find ways to avoid economic ruin – I get that too. But if you just want to go to the beach or out with friends, I think you have to suck it up until the science tells us when and how it’s ok to do so. But, there’s no mystery about this – we all just want to stay alive and have something left to live for.  A leader’s role is to help their people find a light at the end of their tunnel, and to encourage them be patient, reasonable, prudent, and safe while doing what they have to do today.

Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky (1821 – 188): Russian novelist, short story writer, essayist and journalist

1 comment:

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...