Monday, September 18, 2023

Mistakes and successes are two sides of the same coin: learn from each…


Everybody makes mistakes… most don’t want to admit it. 

 

Mistakes happen. 

Learn from them.

 

My paperless project, which turned out to be a very creative and successful idea, almost didn’t happen. After opening the Mirage and being frustrated with handling and mishandling so many applications, I started on my journey of finding a better way. As I’ve said here often, there were very few computers, computer applications, or experienced programmers. Everywhere I turned, people told me computers couldn’t do what I wanted. So, for the opening of Treasure Island, we tried scanning and saving applications – a cumbersome process that ultimately failed because the scanned docs were illegible (either the original applications were written illegibly, or the scans came out too dark). People pointed to this failure as further proof that my idea couldn’t work. But I didn’t give up. I again started looking for a workable solution – fortunately, computers were becoming more capable of doing more things and we discovered online forms and data mapping for Bellagio. Whenever you try to do something new, you’ll usually encounter some success and even some failures – the key is not letting your mistakes stop you. It’s only those who do nothing that make no mistakes. If you’ve got a good idea, keep at it and learn from your mistakes today.

 

Joseph Conrad (1857 – 1924): Polish-British novelist and short story writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let involvement spur you on...

F or the people who grew up in the 60s, listening to John F. Kennedy say we were going to put a man on the moon in that decade sounded beyon...