Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Listen closely...


Most managers are good at giving orders and instructions. Too few rate the same at listening.

 

·      Listening

·      Is the best way

·      To learn what others

·      Are thinking and doing.

 

I spent at least 4 hours a day walking around our properties – that was the best way to learn what was going on. I was very aware that many people felt that going to HR was like going to the principal’s office when they were in school – that’s why I asked everyone in the HR department to spend time walking around, created easy access service centers, and an employee online portal. When we were in their work areas, employees were more comfortable to tell us things… and we learned more about operations out there than we ever could have in our own offices. To this day, former employees tell me how much they appreciated me and my team making it easy to communicate with us and listening to what they had to say. Managers need to find as many ways of connecting to their employees as possible – be accessible and listening may be the most effective. Schedule walking around on your calendar and treat it like you would your most important meetings. It will bring you closer to your employees and signal to them that you all on the same team. Get out of your office and listen to what employees have to say today.

 

Bryant H. McGill (born 1969): American author, poet, broadcaster, speaker, and activist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...