Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Be ever so simple...


It was such a simple idea: recruit college graduates for a growing company. And it became a marvelous program.

 

Fresh ideas

   Meshed with

      Experienced pros.

         It changed a company

            And shaped an industry.

 

We called it the Management Associate Program – MAP for short. The goal was to fill up to 10% of our total management positions with college recruits, leaving a much larger percentage for regular internal promotions. Room enough for everyone to grow. And hoping that the new 10% reinvigorated the other 90%. Golden Nugget was expanding – building the Mirage and hopefully others). It worked beyond everyone’s expectations – the company’s and the recruit’s and their colleague’s. The first group of recruits started on June 12, 1989 – one of them, a friend for all these years, wrote me again yesterday, as he has every year, to thank me for that initial opportunity that changed his life. And every year I write back to thank him for allowing me to be a part of something so simple that produced something so marvelous. The more than 300 men and women who became Mappers during a 12- year period changed so much about our company and the entire gaming industry. They’re now leaders everywhere. Don’t ever think that something is too simple to make a difference: if it’s a good idea, it will succeed. Be ever so proud of the simple things you do today.

 

Amelia Edith Huddleston Barr (1831–1919): British novelist and teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...