Thursday, June 1, 2023

Get away...


My summer sojourn to the Adirondack Mountains has begun. This marks my 73rd year playing in these woods.

 

·      This is the oldest and largest 

·      State Park in the United States.

·      Six-million acres of woods and dirt,

·      Ten-thousand lakes and countless streams.

 

As a kid I vacationed at my grandparent’s Camp (that’s what the cabins there are referred to) and later at one my parents built. My wife and I followed suit and have our own Camp now on one of those lakes – we get out of the heat of the Las Vegas summers and avoid the winters there; its remote location proved to be a great place to visit that was the opposite of the hustle and bustle of Las Vegas. No crowds or noise, and the closest traffic light is more than 15 miles away. A place where we can go to fish, swim, hike, and play in the dirt. Most everyone I know works hard and I believe they each should find a time and place that serves to recharge their batteries and creative juices. While much has been written about maintaining a work-life balance, we often spend too much time and energy on the first part of that equations and too little on the second.  Don’t just give this lip service – find a place that allows you to get away today.

 

John Muir (1838–1914): Scottish-born Americannaturalist, author, environmental philosopher, botanist, zoologist, glaciologist, and advocate for the preservation of wilderness in the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...