Monday, May 15, 2023

Start new employees the right way...


I’ve often seen today’s quote put another way: what goes around comes around. We’ve all seen that to be true.

 

·      The energy

·      We put out has

·      The potential to come

·      Back to us in unforeseen ways.

 

I’m always amazed when people say they can’t find good employees: what, I ask, have you done to make them good (or bad). Hiring is not a perfect science – hard as we try to pick the best candidates, what goes on after you hire them is what they’ll become.  Their onboarding should be guided by this simple truth: you only have one chance to make a good first impression. Make it like a special person is coming to visit for the first time – a warm and gracious welcome goes a long way. Their job training should reflect the same energy and focus that the best teachers have. Show them what they need to do, explain why those tasks are important, and help them learn (like when you taught your kids to ride a bike). And then give them time to practice while you coach them. I know this takes time, but without this kind of onboarding and training, they won’t have a chance to get acclimated and know what’s expected. Whatever you put into getting your employees started right will eventually come back to you as excellence and loyalty. Get your employees started off right today.

 

Mai Der Vang:  Award-winning Hmong American poet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...