Thursday, February 23, 2023

Steady wins the race...


I love listening to sports coaches motivating their players. Exhorting them to keep working towards excellence.

 

·      Inspiring others

·      Ought to be the most

·      Important thing leaders do.

·      Nothing else even comes close.

 

I met a guy early in my career who’s been a friend and continual inspiration to me ever since. He’d been a professional football player and was always repeating things his coaches had told him. A lot of rah-rah stuff that, if you listened closely, made sense. I got him to transfer into my HR department (he’d been in the Security department) to be the company’s safety manager – he dove into that like he was preparing for the Super Bowl, with a can-do attitude to continually learn, grow, and excel. We worked together for nearly 20 years and his attitude never wavered – he was and continues to be the embodiment of today’s quote. Always working, always striving to do better. Today he coaches young people in football and softball, using those same techniques. We often overlook the power of inspiration while managing employees, and I’ve found that it’s one of the best things to do to get people to achieve the results that you and they want. Managers should consider adopting the strategies and techniques of sport’s coaches: exhorting employees to strive to be better, a little at a time. That’s how to achieve excellence today.

 

Patrick James Riley (born 1945): American professional basketball executive, former coach, and former player in the National Basketball Association (NBA).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...