Thursday, December 8, 2022

Dream the impossible dream...


It’s amazing what you can accomplish when someone challenges you to do something. That’s often the motivation people need.

 

·      To do something different,

·      Start with a clean palette 

·      To paint a new picture.

·      That is what it takes

·      To create anything.

 

 

Last night I saw the results of a challenge given to me 35 years ago: the Dean of the Hotel School at Cornell challenged me to connect with the school’s alumni club here in Las Vegas, get involved with them, and help them grow. At the time that seemed like too big a mountain to climb. There were 5 Cornellians at that first dinner, one of them being me, and we talked about what the chapter might become. Several months later I returned to Cornell and began recruiting their graduates, who in turn encouraged others to come be part of the growth that has continued in Las Vegas and in the gaming industry for most of these past 35 years. Back then it was unthinkable that Cornell graduates could be recruited to join the gaming industry in Las Vegas. Last night I attended the local club’s annual holiday party, and the obligatory picture at the end of the event said it all: the crowd in attendance – leaders, shakers, and movers throughout the gaming industry, was the result. We achieved the seemingly impossible precisely by thinking the unthinkable. Think about how you and others can change something today.

 

Tom Robbins (born 1932): American novelist, short story writer, and essayist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...