Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Don't be confusing...


It’s awkward when people use names or terms that they assume everyone recognizes. When that happens, I wonder whether I should ask for clarification.

 

·      When speaking,

·      Watch for people who

·      Look like they’re confused.

·      That’s telling you to explain.

·      Don’t make them have to guess.

 

I’m a pretty good public speaker and I learned early on to watch the audience or class to see if they look confused or have questions. In my experience, people don’t let you know when they don’t understand something, probably because they don’t want to admit it. Some of the best speakers I’ve watched are aware that something is potentially confusing, and they make sure to include explanations in their remarks. It’s the same when training or addressing employees: terms, practices, policies, and technical material should be carefully explained; even then you might need to circle back and ask again if anyone still has questions. Or when new employees start in your company or department: don’t assume they remember where things are nor wait for them to ask; just remember when you were new at something and how that felt. Don’t make the mistake of thinking that something that’s obvious to you is obvious to others. Do what it takes to make people knowledgeable and comfortable today.

 

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (born 1977): Nigerian writer whose works include novels, short stories and nonfiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...