Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Don't be fooled by old habits...

Today’s the shortest day of the year: sunrise at 6:48am and sunset at 4:29 pm. The only good thing about the Winter Solstice is that from now until next June the days will steadily be getting longer. Just the same, this time of year I need to push myself to not let these short days affect me: 

    • Just because it’s dark when I’m trying to wake in the morning doesn’t mean I should stay in bed – a new day and my morning exercises and routines are good in any light. 
    • Just because I know it gets dark early doesn’t mean I should quit what I’m doing early – perseverance, motivation, and good work happen in any light. 
    • Just because it’s dark at dinner time doesn’t mean we can’t do things after we eat – evening talks and walks with family and friends are good in any light. 

We get lulled into daylight habits and need to adjust and adapt to this time change like any of the countless other changes that occur in our lives each year. Nobody should care if it’s light or dark out… just do what you need to do. Like my little dog, our inner clocks beat the same every day – the changes in daylight hours should have no more discernable effect on what we need to do than it does on her continual interest in and readiness a walk… in any light. That’s a good lesson to learn and remember today. 

Martha Graham (1894 – 1991): American modern dancer and choreographer. Her style, the Graham technique, reshaped American dance and is still taught worldwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let involvement spur you on...

F or the people who grew up in the 60s, listening to John F. Kennedy say we were going to put a man on the moon in that decade sounded beyon...