Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Make the workplace an inspiring place...


·      It’s horrible to go to work and hate it.

·      It’s terrible that managers allow that.

·      All of us are responsible to stop that.

 

Years ago, I heard James Clifton (President of Gallup) speak about the high percentage of people who disliked their work so much that they stole from them. I was shocked – I had worked for 10 years to make Wynn one of the most admired companies in America and never thought that something like that was going on around me. Today’s authors state that it’s now reaching epidemic levels: “people going to work at jobs they dislike, supervised by people who don’t care about them, and directed by senior leaders who are often clueless about where to take the company.” This amazes me – I think it’s so easy to know your employees, to understand their needs, to have robust two-way communications with them, to design processes and cultures that enable their best efforts, to catch them doing things right, to send them home each night full of pride, and welcome them back the next day full of hope and excitement. To treat them as equals in the articulation and achievement of our shared goals; to trust and respect them as we would want them to trust and respect us. Work should make them feel good about themselves.  If you’re a leader, make that your overarching objective today!

 

Leigh Branham and Mark Hirschfeld: Authors of the book Re-Engage: How America’s Best Places to Work Inspire Extra Effort in Extraordinary Times https://www.amazon.com/Re-Engage-Americas-Places-Inspire-Extraordinary/dp/0071703101

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...