Thursday, February 8, 2024

If in doubt, put yourself in other people's shoes...


in·teg·ri·ty

/inˈteɡrədē/

 

noun

  1. 1. 

the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.

"she is known to be a woman of integrity"

 

·      It’s doing what’s right even if nobody is looking.

·      Even if it’s hard.

 

I’ve told this story before, but it’s worth repeating. I once was on a trip with several employees – we were driving in a rental van and parking in an airport garage, and I bumped into and scraped the car next to us while pulling into a space.  I immediately sensed everyone looking at me, waiting to see what I’d do. We all knew I could opt to do nothing, and the driver of the other car would have not known who did it. I immediately got out, put a note on one of my business cards and left it under the other car’s windshield wiper. And I immediately sensed the group’s relief and approval.  I reported it to our company’s insurance provider and later learned the other driver was surprised and appreciative that we’d done the right thing. Frankly, that was an easy decision. In life, and as a leader at work, there are countless times a day when we’re faced with making those kinds of decisions – some easy, many hard, but all the same: choosing to do the right thing, even when it’s hard is always right. When you stop and look at any situation openly and with that mindset, it’s easy. And when in doubt, put yourself in other’s people’s shoes and it get even easier. In the end, do what’s right today.

 

Nicholas Sparks (born 1965): American romance novelist, screenwriter, and film producer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...