Monday, February 12, 2024

Don't forget your day job...

·      It’s fun to be in the spotlight.

·      But it’s better to be trustworthy and trusted.

 

In the years after the Mirage opened, my colleagues and I were inundated with requests to talk about our experiences in public forums, both big and small. It was a heady feeling. But upon reflection, not something to be overdone. Schools wanted to know what we’d done and learned from an academic viewpoint, and also to give their students a clearer view of where the industry was headed. Trade associations wanted to provide their members with information to help in their professional development. And local agencies wanted to learn from our experiences. But at the end of the day, there was a job to be done, and fulfilling that role for our company or colleagues was Job #1: everything else was secondary. It’s nice if you can do the extracurricular stuff, as long as you don’t lose sight of your day job. And I can say from personal experience it’s easy to get lost in the fun and famous stuff. But like the quote says: it’s better to be faithful than famous today.

 

Theodore Roosevelt Jr. (1858 – 1919): American politician, statesman, conservationist, naturalist, and writer who served as the 26th president of the United States from 1901 to 1909. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...