Monday, June 27, 2022

Be there when someone needs you...


My mother used to say: “There's no time like the present.” Ben Franklin said: "Never leave that till tomorrow which you can do today.” My old boss used to say: “Be in the moment.”

 

·      Be passionate

·      About doing things

·      Both well and effectively.

·      With a fierce urgency of now.

·      That’s what every customer expects.

 

Service workers must have this mindset. To stop what they’re doing and take care of the customer that’s looking for help. To be cool with that interruption. To respond with energy and enthusiasm. For recruiters, the trick is finding applicants that have this mindset. Many know of my simple “handshake” test, the one I used at the Mirage: unexpectedly stopping someone doing one thing with an unavoidable request that they do something else. And seeing how they react and respond. Like saying “hi” or asking a question. Like beeping your horn. Those that respond positively are optimists – people who are passionate, flexible, open, and willing. They live for each second without hesitation. Like the employees at the register in a Bed Bath and Beyond store who always look up and greet you when you walk in the door. They’re the ones you want to hire when seeking to fill service jobs today

 

Sir Elton Hercules John (born Reginald Kenneth Dwight; 1947): English singer, pianist and composer (from I Guess That’s Why They Call It the Blues)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...