Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Never stop trying....



If you’ve never failed at anything it’s likely you haven’t tried to do anything new.  Like learning to ride a bike, most initial efforts end in failure: it’s only by continuing to try that you ultimately get it right. Same with stuff at work: for me it was coming up with a training program that effectively worked for new hires. It took me several tries to figure out how to develop instructional manuals that department trainers could and would actually use.  I wasn’t deterred by failure - I learned from each time I tried and leveraged that knowledge to do better the next time.  And I wasn’t deterred by a lack of enthusiasm from those who would benefit from my efforts: that motivated me to make those training guides easy to use and then learn how to delegate the authority and responsibility to those who had to adopt and use them. That’s when training really started to work and performance of new employees really started to improve.  Nothing good comes easy – no matter – keep trying until you get it right.

Samuel Barclay Beckett (1906 – 1989): Irish avant-garde novelist, playwright, theatre director, poet, and literary translator


No comments:

Post a Comment

Never take loyalty for granted...

                    e·mo·tion·al in·tel·li·gence                               noun 1.       the capacity to be aware of, control, and expre...