Monday, January 29, 2024

Don't believe everything you hear: sometimes the best ideas get the most pushback....


ab·surd

/əbˈsərd/

adjective

wildly unreasonable, illogical, or inappropriate.

"that idea is patently absurd"

 

In 2003, I wanted to find a way out of getting buried in applications, HR forms, and personnel files. People thought my idea for a paperless HR environment was absurd: mostly because computers weren’t yet designed to do things like that. I thought Xerox might be interested – but they were more into copying than reducing paperwork. I thought Microsoft would have some ideas – Word docs could be saved, but not online job applications and HR forms. I asked Peoplesoft – they weren’t interested in configuring their system that way. But then I found some IT developers who were willing to think outside the box with me – Derek at Recruitmax, Bob at Infinium, and Mauricio was a Peoplesoft developer who loved the challenge of seeing if he could make that system do what it was designed to do but was never allowed to. People who knew that crazy was good. People who didn’t mind being called crazy. People who wanted to push the boundaries farther. People who kept telling each other it could be done. And we did it. Many were amazed that we were able to turn absurd into absolutely. Don’t let your crazy ideas keep you from trying to create something cool today.

 

Albert Einstein (1879–1955); German-born theoretical physicist who is widely held to be one of the greatest and most influential scientists of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...