Wednesday, December 16, 2020

We've much to be thankful for...


They started giving the Coronavirus vaccine to front-line health care workers today. Here in Las Vegas, the first one was given to an ICU nurse: that’s so poignant and appropriate. Throughout this pandemic, I’ve marveled at and been grateful for all the people working the front lines, giving 100% every day without knowing how things would work out. People like a friend who’s a check out cashier at Smiths, a neighbor who’s an emergency room physician in a local hospital, cousins who are nurses in hospitals back east, a sister-in-law working in a rehabilitation center, nephews and nieces who are correctional officers, police officers, fire fighters, and EMTs, and so many others. I know how fearful and careful I am when going out, which for me is voluntary. For them, it’s their job and they’re dedicated enough to go there every day and give it their all, in spite of the dangers they face (and most probably fear). When it started, we weren’t sure how this pandemic would play out, but for those who’ve been giving 100% on those front lines, getting the vaccine first will help lift their spirits and is the best way we can thank them. Being a hero is not a job anyone applies for – it’s a status bestowed upon people by all who are thankful. You know who they are: be sure to let them know how much you appreciate their bravery and dedication today.

 

Larry Bird (born 1956): American former professional basketball player, coach and executive in the National Basketball Association (NBA)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...