Friday, September 4, 2020

"The times they are a-changin"...

 

My wife made another great meal last night and, when I thanked her effusively, she reminded me that it was dinner #171 since we entered our Covid-19 bubble. Having not kept close count of the days, this was a sobering reminder about how long we’ve been plowing through this pandemic. Back when it started, there was optimism that the closures and restrictions would be short-lived; it’s been anything but, and not clearly knowing when it might end may be this year’s definition of “uncertainty”, a condition that, like I wrote yesterday, can lead to worry, pessimism, stress, burnout and depression. We think about employees working from home 5 days a week but, in reality, they’re home every day and, like my wife, are increasingly tired of this seemingly unending routine. As a leader, be aware that this collision of work and life has probably upset the balance that people achieved, in varying degrees, before this pandemic started, be sensitive to how they might be struggling to re-set that balance, and think how your actions (assignments and Zoom meetings) and your company’s policies (wages, attendance and time off) affect their efforts. Be mindful how Covid-19 is changing the way people work and the challenges they face today.

 

Greg Kincaid (born 1957): American author, best known for the best-selling book series, A Dog Named Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...