Monday, September 14, 2020

Align you words and actions...


My consulting partner and I have been posting live Facebook chats (https://www.facebook.com/Tiny-Classroom-Training-102224348087976) ever since Covid-19 shut down most businesses and communities: our theme has been Lessons in Leadership in Times of Crisis. After nearly 90 chats we decided to transition them into Lessons in Leadership in Good Times and Bad and do a deeper dive into each of the key leadership skills because, in many cases, they apply to both. So, we decided to focus first on Communications because, as my boss once told me, the difference between a good manager and a great one is his or her ability to communicate, it’s more than just one of the necessary skills, it is THE skill around which all the others revolve. Employees listen to what leaders are saying and also watch what they do. Effective leaders align their actions and words, and their verbal and non-verbal messages, and make sure to say what they mean and mean what they say - accurately, clearly, and timely. In every instance; in every format; in every situation. Effective leaders listen nearly as much as they speak because that helps them to know if what they’re saying is understood accurately. And effective leaders think twice before speaking because employees look for honesty and transparency in their leaders and has very little patience for anything less than that. Make sure your communications are accurate and effective today.

 

Seth W. Godin (born 1960): American author and former dot com business executive

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...