Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Hard work is its own reward...


 I remember listening to the fights on the radio and the heavyweight championship matches stick out the most in my mind. Joe Lewis, Jack Dempsey, Muhammad Ali, George Foreman and Smokin’ Joe Frazier – the names of fighters who were larger than life and earned their reputations in the ring. Back then, everything about their fights – the training sessions, the weigh-ins and the bouts were exciting and well-publicized. These men were professionals who defined what it meant to be recognized as such. When I grew up and became an HR professional, that term meant something. When I broke into the gaming industry, I respected the men and women I worked with who were gaming, hotel, and food & beverage professionals: they were proud of what they did and how they did it, and they ‘earned their stripes’ every day. People who take their work seriously, strive to be their best every day, study and learn continuously, and proudly perform at the highest levels earn the right to be called professionals.  It doesn’t come with a title or happen overnight: it comes because others recognize it. Smokin’ Joe was known for his hard work and straight-ahead style – qualities that are important in good times and bad. Be recognized for those qualities as you work towards being a professional today.

 

Joseph William Frazier (1944 – 2011): American professional boxer who competed from 1965 to 1981 andreigned as the undisputed heavyweight champion from 1970 to 1973

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...