Friday, January 10, 2020

Be aware...


Please indulge me as I write one last time about our “fire” experience this week. I never really thought much about smoke detectors: I know they’re recommended but I never made sure we had enough of them in our home or that they were always operating properly. Now, I shudder to think what might have happened if our vacation home here didn’t have them – bottom line: I’ll be making sure they’re installed and working as soon as I get home. Like many homes, there are two fire extinguishers in ours – but I’m not sure I could put my hands on them quickly enough if needed in the heat (no pun intended) of an emergency. I am grateful that the home we were staying in had them prominently displayed – that’s the second thing I’ll fix when I get home. And like many, I’ve never thought about what happens when you dial 9-11; I now know how efficient those operators and the first responders they dispatch really are. Yesterday we took several pizzas to the Taos fire department to thank them… now I’m going to look up where to send a big thank you to those operators.  We’re all generally aware of these safety things, but what really matters is realizing what we have long before we might ever need them. So, here’s another of my additional New Year’s resolutions: be safety conscious today.

Herbert George Wells (1866 – 1946): English writer often called the “father of science fiction”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let involvement spur you on...

F or the people who grew up in the 60s, listening to John F. Kennedy say we were going to put a man on the moon in that decade sounded beyon...