Thursday, January 26, 2023

Don't sit on your dreams...



I remember watching that “Miracle on Ice” Olympic hockey game and being inspired to work hard and achieve great things.

 

·      Hard work 

·      And good planning

·      Is a winning combination

·      For success and achievement.

 

People aren’t aware of the risk I took to develop a paperless application system. My boss, who was very supportive of so many of my achievements, wasn’t convinced that paperless applicant tracking could be done. And even though my projections showed a significant and immediate ROI, the high price, unproven idea, and new technology concerned our company’s leadership. I had put several years into research and some  incremental steps, but this still looked like a scary leap of faith. But I knew that if it worked, it would be great, and I was passionate about completing that ambitious project. While I didn’t risk my job with this effort, I did risk losing the confidence and support I had enjoyed for so many years. But I wasn’t willing to sit on that dream. So, I worked harder than ever, tested the system many times along the way, and maintained my passion and commitment to see it through. And it worked. We all have dreams and should passionately follow them when all the conditions are favorable. Scary or not, the best planned dreams can come true. Don’t just sit there - take some good risks today.

 

Herb Brooks Jr. (1937 – 2003): American ice hockey player and coach. His most notable achievement came in 1980 as head coach of the gold medal-winning U.S. Olympic team that upset the heavily favored Soviet team in a match that came to be known as the "Miracle on Ice."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...