Thursday, May 5, 2022

Show that you care...


One of a manager’s most important responsibilities is to set the tone in the workplace. That starts with a smile.

 

·      A smile

·      Shows you care.

·      A kind word or look

·      Proves that you are aware.

·      It sets a tone in the workplace

·      For everyone to experience and share.

 

Early in my career I heard about a leader at another company who walked the same path to his office every morning without stopping and acknowledging the people working for him. Not very personable or inspiring. The employees noticed and resented it. I learned about this when I interviewed one of the employees at that company, and it made a giant impression on me. We often get absorbed in our own world, with our own problems and schedules and projects. One of a  leader’s primary concerns should be the morale and psychological well-being of his/her employees and that means talking the time to let them know that you see them, understand (and are concerned about) what’s going on in their world, and use that awareness in what you think and do. I’ve said it here before: make time every day to walk the floor, talk to your employees, listen to what they have to say, and engage with them directly. A gentle word, a kind look, a good-natured smile can work wonders… and create a sense of team, build morale, and get employees engaged. Set the right tone in your workplace today.

 

William Hazlitt (1778 – 1830): English essayist, drama and literary critic, painter, social commentator, and philosopher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...