Thursday, May 12, 2022

Be curious about what you don't know...


I suspect many professionals feel terrified when starting a new job or project, needing to learn about and grow into their positions. It helps to have curiosity and courage.

 

·      Curiosity means

·      Asking good questions.

·      Courage then helps you to

·      Learn what you need to know.

·      Don’t be afraid of what you don’t know.

 

I remember being both excited and scared to be part of the Mirage pre-opening team – I was willing to work hard but realized there was much I didn’t know. Everyone on that team openly discussed these concerns and supported each other: we were curious about what we didn’t know and wanted to learn more. We were given the time to find and talk to companies that had opened projects both large and small to learn (1) what worked or didn’t and (3) what, in hindsight, they wished they hadn’t done or, if given another chance, would do differently. But the most important thing we learned was the value of seeking out people that knew more than we did, asking good question, and listening to what they told us. We then had the courage to put our egos aside and use what we learned. Being scared is good – it focuses you on what’s important; if you ignore or don’t deal with your fears, it will hold you back from achieving your full potential. Don’t let your fear of the unknown keep you from doing what you want to do today.

 

Georgia O'Keeffe (1887-1986): American modernist artist who has been called the “Mother of American modernism”.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...