Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Understand your role...


“Our true work is not our job - that is what we do, not what we were created to do. Our true work is to look after each other, to protect each other and to be of benefit to one another.” Bill Gates

Like many, I spent most of my life defined by the title on my business card: it said: “Human Resources”, and I thought that was pretty cool. But as I’ve often said here, the title was what it did, not what I was created to do. Everyone has a purpose and it’s rarely defined by a title: nurse, truck driver, Human Resources professional or secretary suggest what’s in a job description, not your heart. For me, it was the opportunity to do things for others, to serve, or to satisfy or alleviate needs; for others I suspect it is much the same: completing duties is different than fulfilling a sense of purposefulness. These days, our obligation is to distance ourselves socially, but our purpose is to protect ourselves and others, and like our work titles, they’re not altogether disconnected. Our true work is to look after each other, to protect each other, and to be of benefit to one another today.

Bill Gates (born 1955): Businessman, and Philanthropist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...