Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Smiles matter...


Sometimes you just have to say something. Respectfully. When sitting silently on the sidelines isn’t an option.

 

It’s easy

   To take things

      As they come and

         Not say anything. But…

 

I’m traveling today and like most people, I’ve gotten used to the world according to the Transportation Safety Administration (TSA). It’s an accepted and necessary part of life. But like any government program, it’s unaccountable to the people it serves. They figure safety is everything and customer satisfaction is nothing. I guess they’re customer and mission are the same. So long lines, while maddening to travelers, is seemingly unimportant to them. Like the greater hospitality world, they have a way of knowing exactly how much volume they will have every hour (they know how many ticketholders are coming their way every hour; unlike the greater hospitality world, they don’t staff accordingly for these known volumes. Thus, long lines in the lines that are open, and lots of lines not open. Unhappy travelers (who really can’t say anything). Unsmiling TSA staff working at the speed of safety. I should be satisfied just knowing it’s safe. While I am, I still wish they’d smile. No reason not to, in this or any other people to people transaction. Smiles make everything right. Whatever your job, remember to smile today.

 

Dean Smith (1931 – 2015): American men's college basketball head coach for 36 years at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your heart and soul into whatever you do...

If I had a song I'd sing it in the morning I'd sing it in the evening All over this land I'd sing out danger I'd sing out a ...