Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Try hard to be good every day...


I use quotes every day in my daily messages, meaning I’m always looking for good quotes. I recently bumbled upon The Neurotic’s Notebook, a compilation of aphorisms (a pithy observation that contains a general truth) somewhere between anxiety and bitterness. 

 

Neurotic means you're afflicted by neurosis, a word that has been in use since the 1700s to describe mental, emotional, or physical reactions that are drastic and irrational.

 

I’ve written these daily messages every weekday since 2009 – that’s 15 years and nearly 3900 quotes and messages. Some days I’ll use a proverb, others something anonymous; but mostly I use quotes to help make a point and give people something to think about.  I don’t believe this makes me neurotic, but it does seem compulsive. And then I found this Notebook and today’s aphorism – and I couldn’t help but think that if I must do this every day, for God’s sake I better learn to do it well. This could also apply to anyone who goes to work every day – best they learn to do that well too. Whether it’s writing messages or doing what you do: learn all you can about that and for God’s sake, do it well today.

 

The Neurotic's Notebook, by Mignon McLaughlin: Originally published in 1963, updated regularly and found on Amazon. McLaughlin was previously Editor of Glamour Magazine.

1 comment:

Sweat the small stuff...

M anagers want their employees to feel strongly about what they do:   in·tense /in ˈ tens/ adjective 1.       of extreme force, degree, or s...