Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Trust your instincts...


Sometimes it’s hard to know what to do. So many voices, opinions, options. Sometimes it’s best to just listen to yourself.

 

·      In good times,

·      Listen to yourself.

·      In tough times,

·      Listen also to yourself.

·      Your inner voice will know.

 

Growing up and taking on more responsibility is hard. Working and moving up in an organization is also hard: with authority, and accountability added to increased responsibilities. When you start something new is when you especially need to listen and learn. Most companies train their people on the basics of what to do. But when questions or issues arise, you’re often on your own: that’s when you should rely on your own instincts and common sense, ask for advice from others, and collaborate with your colleagues. Listening to yourself can be key to success.  I started my working career in the manufacturing business, and when I started working at the Golden Nugget (in the hospitality and service sectors) I was uncertain how the things I had learned in the past would apply there. My inner voice told me that people in every business have the same needs and that I could surely use what I knew about that in my new job. I listened hard and paid attention. Don’t be afraid to admit you don’t know something and listen hard to good advice today.

 

Anne Sexton (1928 – 1974): American poet known for her highly personal, confessional verse. She won the Pulitzer Prize for poetry in 1967 for her book Live or Die.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let involvement spur you on...

F or the people who grew up in the 60s, listening to John F. Kennedy say we were going to put a man on the moon in that decade sounded beyon...