Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Take a ride down memory lane...


I’m headed back to Las Vegas today for a week – a place I’ve called home for more than 36 years. Leaving the Adirondacks – which is where I started.

 

·      Here and there.

·      Part of each year in each.

·      One is where I currently live,

·      The other is where I was born.

·      It seems I’ve never left either one.

 

Strange how where life leads us – growing up, nobody left home: there were lots of jobs and family. Then companies started moving and communities began changing, and often the best opportunities were elsewhere. Knitting mills moved South, manufacturing offshore, and I reluctantly left too. I can’t complain – it’s been a great career, but each summer when we return to vacation closer to our roots, the pull of the past is strong. Driving around the old neighborhood and past familiar haunts is a nostalgic journey but going back is not the same as never leaving. The new always replaces the past in ways that create new memories. Somedays I wish I never left, but then all that’s transpired since reminds me of all that I have. I think everyone should go back to where they started so they get a sense of how far they’ve come. Take a ride down memory lane today.

 

Sir Terence David John Pratchett (1948 – 2015): English humorist, satirist, and author of fantasy and comical novels, best known for his Discworld series of 41 novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let involvement spur you on...

F or the people who grew up in the 60s, listening to John F. Kennedy say we were going to put a man on the moon in that decade sounded beyon...