Monday, November 22, 2021

Clearly communicate your expectations...


People often complain that employees today don’t try very hard. Truth is that people have been complaining about that for the 50+ years I’ve been working. My take on this is that people do as much or as little as they have to unless someone is there inspiring and motivating them to do what’s expected. One of my first jobs was working on an assembly line – I was the new kid and they put me at the head of the line so that my low productivity (while learning) would be a natural brake on the rest of the line’s efforts, which they all liked. But I didn’t know any better and quickly learned how to produce more – so much so, that one of the other guys from the line came and told me to slow down. That mindset surprised me; I thought everyone would naturally want to work hard and produce as much as possible. But as I learned, that’s not always the case; the role of leaders in any organization is to inspire and motivate others to learn what and how much to do each day. Effective leaders communicate expectations clearly, coach them when they fall short, and catch them doing things right. Productivity, like morale, shouldn’t be left to chance. Inspire and motivate your employees to know what’s expected today.

 

Clive Staples (C.S.) Lewis (1898 – Nov 22, 1963) was a British writer and lay theologian. Lewis and fellow novelist J. R. R. Tolkien were close friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let involvement spur you on...

F or the people who grew up in the 60s, listening to John F. Kennedy say we were going to put a man on the moon in that decade sounded beyon...